When it comes to testing the waters, the adage is to just “jump in.” Although you wouldn’t want to startle any fish with sudden movements, these waders will test the water for you.
Those of you who want to stay warm, dry, and comfortable while angling or working in the water will find what you need here. No matter if you’re a novice fisherman or an avid outdoorsman, we have the top ten best waders for your weekend work and play.
Here are a few things to take into consideration before you check out the waders in the table.
- Sizing for Men Versus Women. Although most waders are measured with men in mind, women can also wear many of the options found in the table below.
If the waders are sized based on shoe size, going down one size usually does the trick for women. Otherwise, simply go off the size chart’s measurements of height, weight, chest, etc.
- Environmental Impact. There are some surprising –and sneaky—little creatures that could influence which waders you ultimately purchase. If you choose a wader with an attached boot, read on. Paying careful attention to the material of your boots could keep the waters you wade clean!
Many states are issuing bans on felt-soled boots, as they can transfer aquatic invasive species from one riverbed to another. Didymo (bright green algae) and New Zealand mud snails are just two of the offenders you could be taking home with you.
If you do purchase waders with a felt sole, be sure to wash them with bleach afterward and let them dry completely. Doing so should kill those pesky organisms that can disrupt an ecosystem.
Top 10 Waders Overview Chart
Here are a few shopping tips that will help steer you toward the best waders for your needs and budget.
- Size. As with any article of clothing bought online, pay close attention to the size charts associated with each pair of waders. For example, some chest waders are made for taller people and can be difficult to adjust.
- Material. There are more options available now than the traditional rubber waders. If you’ll be wading in a warmer climate, a more breathable fabric can be a terrific – and comfortable – choice.
Also, the more lightweight the fabric, the more likely an errant fish hook or tree branch could do some damage. Often times superglue or a tire patch kit can repair a ripped seam or hole.
- Color. Muted colors are standard, as they blend with nature, and are less likely to spook fish.
- Belt. Adding a belt to your waders can cinch the waist and delay water seepage should you slip and fall.
- Boots. Many waders come with boots attached. Keep in mind you might need to add insoles or wear thicker socks for extra support.
Top 3 Best Waders Reviews
Fishing is fun and dry in these high-quality waders from Reddington.
They feature three layers of Nylon that is coated in DWR to offer you superb waterproof protection and have a handy accessory pocket that is sewn into the top front part of the waders: this is the perfect place to store extra flies or other small accessories without the added bulk.
You’ll appreciate the gravel guards since they have shoelace hooks that prevent them from riding up (you hook them directly onto the laces) and to prevent debris from entering from under the pant leg. It also has a wading belt and neoprene booties: the whole package!
This is great for entry-level anglers and experts alike and their sizing is ideal for taller users. The chest pocket is definitely handy!
The design of these waders offers so many nice extras, you’ll wonder how you did without them. First, the fabric is lightweight and breathable, perfect for warmer days in the water. The “CaddisDry” technology consists of three layers of fabric, keeping water out, but letting perspiration escape.
The range of sizes is superior to many brands – you’re sure to find the perfect wader for your height and weight. They offer “stout” options for those of us that aren’t 6’ plus (which seems to be the standard height with many brands!). Reinforced knees and stockings give extra protection and comfort, and the added wading belt is a nice extra. The oversized front pocket keeps your essentials dry, and the attached gravel guards will keep pesky pebbles out of your boots. You also receive a mesh bag for storage and a repair kit with instructions.
The form and function of this product truly gives you the best fishing waders offered online. The only item left on your shopping list will be the perfect wading boots!
This pair of waders would also be an excellent choice for your first waders. Unlike many, there is an assortment of sizes (seven, to be exact), though not as many as our Number One choice, the Caddis.
Unlike the Caddis, though, you do get the cleated sole boots attached. There is room for orthotic insoles; a good idea if you’re on the hunt most of the day.
If you are unsure of your size, or you plan to wade in colder water, going up a size is a good idea. You’ll need the room for extra layers of clothes, and these fit a bit more snugly than many competitors’ waders.
At half the price (or less) than waders found at many stores, these waders are steal. Enjoy testing the waters without testing your budget!