There plenty of reasons to carry a knife around your neck, whether you want to be hands-free as you tend to other tasks or if you’d simply like to carry one for protection.
The range of neck knives is now so diverse that it can be very difficult to find exactly what you need. By using this guide, you will be able to navigate all the options and find one that suits your needs exactly.
We have complied a list of the best neck knife options and provide you with all of the information you need in order to choose the right one.
Why a Neck Knife?
Before you look over our list, you should first consider exactly why you are thinking about getting a neck knife. Here are the main reasons that people buy this product and exactly what you should be looking for from your knife:
- Self-Defense. For those that are looking at neck knives to feel safer in their neighborhood or on their walk home, then there are very particular features you should pay attention to. The knife should be lightweight and easily concealed, but it should also be able to be large enough to ward off any potential attacker.
This can be a difficult balance to get right. Generally, you should focus on the knife being shorter but a little wider than average.
- Emergency. If you don’t want to be caught in a dangerous situation without a knife, then you should only be looking at the knives that are small and strong enough to be handy no matter the circumstances.
- Outdoors. This refers to hikers, campers, hunters, rock-climbers, and anyone else that would require a knife when they go out into the wilder parts of the world. Several of the neck knives on our list are specifically designed for use in outdoor activities and this should be considered before making the final purchase.
Top 10 Neck Knives Ultimate Chart
|Picture||Name||Blade Length||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Ka-Bar BK11 Becker Necker Neck Knife||3.25”||$$$$||4.7|
|2. Schrade SCHF16 Full Tang Neck Knife Clip Point||3.1”||$$||4.5|
|3. Boker 02SC743 Magnum Lil Friend Micro||1.375”||$$||4.3|
|4. SOG Snarl Fixed Blade JB01K-CP - Satin Polished 2.3"||2.3”||$$$||4.3|
|5. MTech USA MT-20-14 Series Fixed Blade Neck Knife||2.75”||$||4.2|
|6. Survivor KHK6320 Outdoor Tanto Knife||3”||$||4.1|
|7. MTech USA MT-588 Series Fixed Blade||3”||$||4.1|
|8. MTech USA MT-20-30 Series Fixed Blade||2”||$||4.1|
|9. Bud K Tactical Warrior Tanto Full Tang Emergency||3”||$||4.1|
|10. Master USA MU-1119 Series Tactical Neck Knife||3”||$||4.0|
Deciding Which Is the Neck Knife for You
On our list, we have included the length of the blade of each knife and while this is very important, it is not the only thing that you should be looking at.
As we have previously mentioned, the different uses for a neck knife will dictate which size blade you should opt for but you should also be aware of the strength of the knife. This is determined by its “tang”.
Here the terms full-tang and half-tang are explained in more detail:
- Full-Tang. This is when the metal of the blade continues at the same width the full length of the handle. In this case, the handle will be pinned directly onto the blade. This approach generates the strongest type of knife and many of the best neck knife options on our list provide this feature.
- Half-Tang. While this specifically refers to the knife blade only reaching halfway inside the handle, it is also used to refer to the blade shrinking in width and a range of other lengths and styles. It is important to know that this type of neck knife will be cheaper but it will certainly not be as strong.
Top 3 Best Neck Knife Reviews
The Ka-Bar BK11 Becker Necker is a serious knife as it is used by many branches of the military. If you want quality and practicality, then following which weapons are used by service members is always a good idea.
This steel knife is perfect for hiking, protection or whatever use you might have. Considering the compact and easy-to-carry size as well as the weight of it, there really are no downsides to having it around your neck. The blade is sharp and the entire product has been made strong enough for tasks as intensive as prying.
The handle is comfortable and the entire knife looks great without being overly designed just for looks. This is the best neck knife because it is practical rather than the most beautiful knife you can buy.
The Schrade SCHF16 is a full tang knife that you can wear around your neck for any purpose. The grooved handle makes it easy to grip and use in tough situations and the overall size makes the knife effective but not too heavy or large to wear under your shirt.
Considering the low cost of this knife, it is truly surprising how durable it is and how well it performs when you need it to. This is one of the reasons this is also a great emergency knife to have to hand. The sheath that it comes with is also all you need to practice knife safety.
The locking kind of plastic that the sheath is made of keeps the entire thing in place and clamped until you are ready to take it out and use it. This is also something that will save you money as you don’t have to worry about finding an alternative sheath that will fit properly.
The Boker 02SC743 Magnum Lil Friend is made of the perfect combination of materials and is exactly what you would want from a neck knife. The stainless-steel blade is full tang, the handle is incredibly comfortable and it comes with a Kydex sheath.
When you order this knife, it arrives sharp and ready to wear. From the first time you try it on, you will notice how lightweight it is and then when you use it, you will be able to experience the sharpness and effectiveness of it for yourself.
Based on the size of the knife, it can easily be hidden under your shirt for self-defense reasons or just to keep close to you when hiking. The knife itself also looks good. The wider blade and the thick handle make it look and feel better than other similar knives.