Kayaking gives you the ability to enjoy being on the water without the expense and hassle of a motor boat. Kayaks get you close to the water, allow for quiet smooth gliding over the surface, and are conveniently portable compared to a conventional boat.
Finding the best kayak for your outdoor adventures can be challenging, so before you make your final purchase, consult this handy and informational guide to help take some of the mystery out of the kayak shopping process.
Top 10 Kayaks Ultimate Table
|1. Ocean Kayak Frenzy Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak||9 feet||$||4.8|
|2. Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Vapor 10 Recreational Kayak||10 feet||$$||4.8|
|3. Malibu Kayaks X-Factor Fish and Dive Package Sit on Top Kayak||14 feet||$$$$||4.8|
|4. Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90||9 feet||$$||4.7|
|5. Sun Dolphin Excursion 10-Foot Sit-in Fishing Kayak||10 feet||$||4.5|
|6. BKC UH-TK181 12.5 foot Sit On Top Tandem Fishing Kayak Paddles and Seats included||12.5 feet||$$$||4.4|
|7. Sun Dolphin Aruba 10 Sit-in Kayak||10 feet||$||4.3|
|8. Lifetime 10 Foot Sport Fisher Tandem Kayak||10 feet||$||4.3|
|9. ADVANCED ELEMENTS ADVANCEDFRAME CONVERTIBLE KAYAK||15 feet||$$||4.3|
|10. Ocean Kayak 12-Feet Malibu Two Tandem Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak||12 feet||$$$||4.3|
Choosing a Kayak
While all kayaks are similar, there are some minor differences that make some kayaks more suitable for certain recreational activities. While it’s possible to use a fishing kayak for whitewater, to get the most out of your kayak, each should really be used for what it was designed to do.
Types of Kayaks
The first step is choosing the best kayak is to decide what you will be using it for.
- Fishing Kayaks. Anglers love a well-designed fishing kayak for its ability get them in close to shore, into tight inlets, and around deadfall that a conventional boat just can’t access. Kayaks designed for fishing are wide and stable, have rod holders and compartments for tackle storage, and allow you to have easy access to all areas of the deck.
- Whitewater Kayaks. Kayaks designed for navigating whitewater river areas are generally short and narrow, and often have thigh braces for additional control. You will also want to look for extra safety features and sturdy hull reinforcement to protect your craft against accidental rock collisions. A good whitewater kayak will also have a spray skirt to help provide a water tight seal and prevent water from flowing into the cockpit when riding on the wilder parts of the river.
- Recreational Kayaks. Designed for leisure paddling in calm water, recreational kayaks have wide beams for greater stability and are generally longer than whitewater kayaks. Kayaks in this category are affordable and easy to handle, making them a popular choice for beginners.
- Ocean Kayaks. If you plan to take your kayak out in the open ocean, purchase one specifically designed to handle the fast water and running currents of saltwater destinations. Most ocean kayaks are long, at least 11.5 feet, to provide stability in ocean waves. The longer the kayak, the more stable it will be, especially in rough seas.
- Touring Kayaks. These long, narrow kayaks are built for speed. They are best used in large calm bodies of water where tight turns are not necessary for navigation.
Top 3 Best Kayak Reviews
Transporting this kayak couldn’t be easier. Only 9 feet in length and weighing a light 43 pounds, it is easy to lift and transport in the back of a truck or affix to the top of your car. Once you’re on the water, you’ll enjoy comfortable cushioned adjustable seating with back support for all-day paddling comfort no matter your body size. This kayak is perfect for everyone from children to adults.
This little kayak offers big fun. Featuring a Triform hull for extra stability and maneuverability, the Ocean Kayak Frenzy is both responsive and stable whether playing in the surf or cruising over smooth water.
If you’re worried about how this short little kayak will track in the water, don’t be. It tracks well despite its short size. Even when paddling with large long strokes, this kayak shoots straight as an arrow through the water. And it even looks cool doing it.
This single-person kayak is perfect for quiet water paddling on calm water. It has a big open cockpit with enough room to stow all your gear or to bring along man’s best friend. It also has cozy padded seating for all-day comfort. Comfortable thigh and knee pads and the Glide Track Foot Brace system make for a great fit and firm control, no matter your size. If you think you’re too big for kayaking, you’re wrong. The Vapor 10 provides maximum room, comfort, and stability even for larger adults.
The light weight of this kayak makes it easy to load, launch, and remove from the water, even for those kayakers who lack upper body strength. If you are looking for a recreational kayak, and sturdiness, comfort, and style are your priorities, this is exactly the kayak you’re looking for.
The perfect kayak for ocean fishing, the Malibu Kayaks X-Factor is great in the bays or out on the open ocean. It has a high rocker to cut through rough choppy waves with stability and speed. Equipped with front and rear dive wells to store your catch, six flush-mounted rod holders, and a large storage capacity to carry all your tackle, this kayak is truly a fisherman’s dream. It is also trolling motor capable for more serious fishing expeditions.
It is unbelievably stable, allowing you to scoot, wiggle, and reach to unhook fish while still feeling solid. It floats and tracks well, even in choppy surf. If it’s fish you’re after, you want this top of the line kayak for its stability and special fishing features.