If you’re a hunter, you understand the importance of having quality gear. A durable and dependable backpack is an important piece of hunting equipment because it carries all of your other gear.
Because it is such an important piece of equipment, you don’t want to settle for just any backpack. You want to choose one that will best do what it’s supposed to – get you and your gear to your hunting destination.
We’ve assembled the following guide to help you pick the best hunting backpack to get you and your gear out into the woods, so you have a successful hunt.
Top 10 Hunting Backpacks Table
|1. Badlands Diablo Day Pack||22 x 14 x 6 inches||$||4.8|
|2. Fieldline Men's Mossy Oak Breakup Country Pro Treeline Day Pack, Beige, One Size||18.3 x 12.5 x 7.3 inches||$$||4.8|
|3. Tenzing TC SP14 Shooter's Pack Hunting Backpack, Realtree Max Xtra||21 x 11 x 4 inches||$$$||4.6|
|4. Allen Company Pagosa Daypack, 1800 Cubic Inches||21 x 11 inches||$$||4.5|
|5. ALPS OutdoorZ Dark Timber Day Pack||20 x 12.5 x 4 inches||$$||4.4|
|6. Fieldline Pro Series Montana Backpack||17.5 x 12 x 7.25 inches||$||4.4|
|7. ALPS OutdoorZ Trail Blazer Hunting Pack||20.8 x 13.5 x 6.8 inches||$||4.3|
|8. Eberlestock J34 Just One Pack||25 x 11 x 6 inches||$||4.3|
|9. Eberlestock X1 Hunting Pack||25 x 18.3 x 6 inches||$$$$||4.3|
|10. Mossy Oak Silver Leaf 1 Day Pack, 17 x 15 x 7, Mossy Oak Infinity||17 x 15 x 7 inches||$$||4.2|
Things to Hunt for in a Hunting Backpack
Making a list of the best hunting packs was easy for us, but choosing the best hunting backpack is tricky for you since choosing one depends on several factors: what terrain you are hunting, how much equipment and supplies you need to carry, and how long your trip will last. However, there are several qualities that any good hunting backpack will possess. Here are some qualities you’ll want to look for when choosing your own.
- Waterproof. Even if you don’t plan to hunt in the rain, you never know when Mother Nature might surprise you with a random afternoon squall. A hunting backpack made of waterproof material will keep your equipment and supplies safe and dry no matter the weather. Look specifically for bags that carry a waterproof label.
- Quiet Construction. Since you’ll most likely be stalking game while wearing your backpack, make sure that it is constructed of quiet material. Some material is quieter than others, especially when it rubs against brush and branches. You also want a bag that doesn’t have a squeaky frame or parts that might bump together as you walk.
- Lightweight. Since your hunting backpack will be used to carry around the weight of all of your gear and supplies, you’ll want a bag that doesn’t add much weight to your load.
Pack carefully when planning for longer hunting trips and make sure you weigh your supplies before packing so you have an idea of the final weight.
- Comfort. Since you’ll be carrying your bag on your back, probably for long periods of time, you’ll want to make sure it is comfortable to carry. Look for padded straps, lower back support, and breathable ventilation.
- Accommodates Your Weapon. Whether you’re hunting with a bow or a rifle, you might want to consider a backpack that can properly transport your weapon; this is a convenient feature that keeps your hands free when traveling through rough terrain or dense woods.
- Size. Not all hunters are the same size, so there is no one-size-fits-all hunting backpack. Consider your personal torso size when choosing your bag. A bag that is too tall or too short won’t feel comfortable on your back for long periods of time.
You also need to consider the gear that you will be carrying in your bag. You need it all to fit, so knowing the dimensions of your hunting backpack before you pack your supplies and equipment is important.
Top 3 Best Hunting Backpack Reviews
This compact, 5-pound backpack is perfect for carrying with you on a short day hunt. It may be small, but don’t let its size fool you. The Badlands Diablo Day Pack can carry up to 40 pounds of gear, and if you can’t fit it all inside this bag, the external straps make it easy to strap on any extras.
The Hypervent construction keeps the bag from resting directly on your back; this allows for better ventilation so you can arrive at your hunting spot without a wet and sweaty back. Perfect for those early fall bow hunts when the afternoon temperatures are still quite warm.
The camo pattern fabric is quiet, and the ultralight aluminum frame makes carrying this backpack seem like nothing. Plus, Badlands offers a full lifetime warranty. If something breaks or rips, they’ll fix it or replace it, even if you bought the bag in a secondhand store. With so many features and a company that stands behind its product, you can’t help but think that the Badlands Diablo Day Pack is the best hunting backpack for your next short hunting trip.
This lightweight day pack weighs in at just under two pounds. Its extra-large main compartment is large enough to accommodate most gear and the external molle straps enable you to strap the leftovers to the outside of the bag. The backpack also features several smaller compartments for convenience and accessibility. You won’t have to rummage around in a large compartment to find everything.
This Day Pack is comfortable and quiet, and with the Mossy Oak Breakup pattern, you’ll be able to slip through the woods to and from your stand without game even knowing what you’re up to. It’s affordable, too. The budget-conscious hunter will love this hunting backpack for the features as well as the price.
This hunting backpack has all of the features you need for a longer hunting trip. With nine different compartments and pockets, you can organize everything you need. It even comes with a spot to carry your rifle or crossbow and it is designed to use as a convenient rest when firing your rifle. There is even a built-in rain fly for use during rainy hunting conditions.
This is one of the most comfortable hunting backpacks available. The breathable mesh back helps keep you cool and prevents a sweaty back while hiking into your hunting stand. It has padded hip panels, comfortable straps, and a stretchy and adjustable waist belt, comfort features that make carrying a heavy load a lot less cumbersome.
The Tenzing Shooter’s Backpack is a great choice for longer hunts. It is large enough to haul enough supplies for two to three days, and you’ll feel comfortable getting there. This is the bag you need for those rugged off-grid hunting trips.