Going on a hike differs from going for a stroll in that you need to prepare well in order to avoid problems later. A hike can put your feet under significant pressure from supporting the weight of the body throughout the exertion.
In order to be safe and comfortable while hiking, your hiking boots need to fit properly and the hiking socks that you wear will play a part in this.
Getting the best hiking socks will prevent your feet sliding around in your hiking boots, or from them feeling too tight.
Top 10 Hiking Socks Chart
|Picture||Name||Main Material||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Darn Tough Vermont Men's 1/4 Merino Wool Cushion Hiking Socks||65% Merino Wool||$$$||4.8|
|2. Smartwool Women's Hike Medium Crew Socks||66% Merino wool||$$||4.8|
|3. 5pack Women's Full Cushion Mid Quarter Length Hiking Socks||75% cotton||$$$||4.8|
|4. 5Pack Men's Multi Performance Padded Hiking/Outdoor Crew Socks 5Pair Assortment Solid3P /Stripe2P Men||77% cotton||$$$||4.7|
|5. 4 Pairs 71% Merino Wool Hiking Trekking Crew Socks Made in USA People Socks||71% Merino wool||$$$$||4.6|
|6. Kirkland Signature Womens Trail Sock Pack of 4||76% Merino wool||$$||4.6|
|7. Carhartt Women's 4 Pack All-Season Boot Socks||42% acrylic||$$||4.5|
|8. Wigwam Men's Hiking/Outdoor Pro Length Sock||100% Spandex||$||4.4|
|9. Dickies Men's 4 Pack All Season Marled Moisture Control Crew Socks||66% polyester||$$||4.3|
|10. Kirkland Signature Men's Outdoor Trail Sock Merino Wool Blend Assorted Pack||70% Merino wool||$$||4.3|
Consider This for the Best Socks for Hiking
- Material. The material from which the socks are made will play a part in how comfortable they are as this will dictate how effective they are at wicking away moisture and staying dry. Though most socks will be range of a number of different materials, there will often be one that makes up the majority of it and the qualities of this must be considers in the main and how this works along with the others.
There will often be a small element of elasticised material, which will help determine how well the socks can contour to the shape of your foot and lower leg and how well they stay up, as opposed to sliding down into your boot.
The material from which the socks are made will play a part in how hard wearing they are and whether the laundering can be done via a washing machine or whether hand washing is required in order to maintain their condition.
- Cushioning. Many hiking socks will comprise an element of cushioning that will help alleviate the pressure on the feet and, consequently, reduce the pain that can result from a long hike.
- Length. The length of hiking socks can vary from ankle to knee-high and those that you choose will often depend on comfort in accordance with what you intend to wear with them. For example, when hiking in a hot country, any benefit that can be gained from socks keeping your feet warm will not be necessary, so long socks are unlikely to be beneficial.
- Thickness. The thickness of the sock is important as it is an important part of ensuring that your hiking boots fit well. Hiking boots that are too tight can cause bunions, while boots that are too loose can result in books and friction. When choosing hiking socks, check whether they are compatible with your boots to ensure a good fit.
- Multipack. If you are going on a hiking holiday, for example, you will be aware that you will require several pairs of socks, so it may be prudent to obtain a multipack. This is will often be a cost effective way to obtain the hiking socks as opposed to buying on an individual basis, particularly with a brand of socks that you trust and which have worked well for you before.
- Color. Though the color of hiking socks may not seem like an important consideration as they are not always visible, there will be occasions when shorts are worn during a hike, which will mean that the socks can be seen. The color will enable you to demonstrate your own sense of style, it the use of a neutral color will ensure that they match anything you wear.
Top 3 Best Hiking Socks Reviews
The Darn Tough Vermont Men’s Hiking socks are in the style of an ankle sock, which are available in three different colors so the desire for light or dark socks can be satisfied. They shaped and patterned so that there is no risk of them being accidently put on backwards.
The material is nice and soft, which is expected with the majority being Merino wool, but it also incorporates Spandex so there is good elasticity and they fit well to the foot.
The material is not that thick, so they are easy to wear on an average day too.
They felt good as new after washing and feel like a durable pair of socks.
The Darn Tough Vermont Men’s hiking socks are as the name suggests and provides a tough and versatile pair of socks.
SmartWool Women’s Hike Medium Crew socks are specifically designed to benefit hikers.
The pile is such that it provides extra padding in the ball and the heel of the foot, so they provide extra cushioning.
The cuff is not too tight so that it left a mark, but they held up well and did not twist around despite being worn all day.
Despite them being mostly made from wool, the feet do not get hot when wearing these socks and they remained comfortable to wear after a full day of hiking.
They comprise a flat toe seam to prevent any bunching up and to keep the toes comfortable no matter what shoes you are using.
They are easy to remove when necessary off using the tab at the heel.
The SmartWool Women’s Hike Medium Crew socks are easy to wear socks that are ideal hiking and true to size.
These Seoul Story 7 Women’s mid quarter length socks are mostly made of cotton, but there is an element of Spandex so there is enough stretch in them to get them on easily.
The material also comprises some nylon, which helps make them soft and felt comfortable while being worn.
They are good for cold weather, as they kept the feet warm but they were not left sweaty after some exertion.
They come in a pack of five comprising various colors with all of them marked with the manufacturer’s logo on the side.
The Seoul Story 7 Women’s are the best hiking socks to provide all the qualities you need for comfortable hiking in a cold climate.