Struggling to find the best field knives? If you are, no need to worry. We’ve got you covered!
Hunting is a great hobby. While some hunters enjoy the whole process of hunting, others take more pleasure in cleaning and preserving the meat they’re rewarded with.
If you fall in the latter category, then you might already know how important a field dressing knife is for hunters. In fact, a good field dressing knife is one of the most important pieces of equipment a hunter can have.
Because of this, it’s very important to choose your next field dressing knife carefully. Field dressing knives are available in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and materials.
But finding the right one for yourself can be a bit overwhelming as there are so many on the market each with their own unique selling points. To help you make the right purchase decision and to save your money and time, we’ve put together a list of the top 10 best field dressing knives out there today.
If you are in a rush, you can check out our top pick right below!
Before we jump into the list, let’s take a look at some important things you should know about field dressing knives to inform your purchasing decision.
What Is A Field Dressing Knife?
As the name suggests, a field dressing knife is a tool that is used to dress organs of hunted animals directly on the field or hunting spot. This is usually done to prevent any bacterial infection in the meat.
Large organs of dead animals should be removed quickly before their body temperature drops. This is where field knives come in. They are very sharp and allows to dress the organs very fastly. This process is very important to preserve the quality of meat and to prevent it from getting infected.
Field Dressing Knives Buyer’s Guide
Below are the things you should keep in mind when selecting the best knife for yourself:
Type of Field Dressing Knife
There are basically two categories of fields dressing knives available in the market. The first category includes the fixed blade knives and the other category includes foldable knives. Both types of knives are equally popular among the hunters.
Fixed blade knives are generally durable and long-lasting. They don’t have any major drawbacks, but they should be handled with care otherwise they might cause injuries. Folding knives on the other hand are safe and easy to carry but they aren’t very durable. They lose their quality over time.
Before making your final purchase decision, determine what length of blade or size you want. It depends on the size of the animal you’re planning to hunt. For instance, you’ll need a smaller knife for hunting a rabbit otherwise the bigger knife may cause you injuries. Similarly, for hunting a deer, you are better off looking for a knife of considerable size.
We typically recommend getting a knife with 3 to 5 inches of blade length, as this should suit most of your needs.
Generally, most of the fields dressing knives are made from carbon steel or stainless steel. Each of these materials has its own set of pros and cons. The blade material selection depends on the personal preferences of the hunters.
Carbon steel is usually the better choice because it is harder and remains sharp for a long time. On the downside, it is more prone to rust. Stainless steel blades on the other hand are rust-resistant but they are less durable and as such get blunt quicker.
A hunting knife should be very sturdy and sharp. It should be durable and must not break easily when used while field dressing process. You should look for a full tang knife as its blade portion extends to the handle which makes sure that it will not break easily.
It is important to know that folding knives don’t offer a full tang option, which makes them less durable and reliable. For this reason, many hunters prefer fixed blade knives over folding knives.
Handle is another important feature you should consider. Generally, you wear gloves while performing the field dressing. So, when you hold the knife, it should offer you a firm and non-slippery grip otherwise you’ll increase your chances of getting injured.
Wooden handles might look very attractive, but they tend to have quite a slippery surface which can be dangerous when being handled with gloves. The best handle material is rubber-plastic. It offers a great grip and is non-flimsy as well.
It’s no brainer that you can’t, and you shouldn’t carry your hunting knife without a casing otherwise you may end up hurting yourself and others. A good hunting knife always comes with a good quality casing which not only offers it protection against the weather conditions but also keeps you safe from any accidental injuries.
Nylon is considered to be the best material for knife covers. It is tear and wear-resistant and last for very long. As well as this, nylon is affordable for the properties and durability it has.
Finally, the last and the most important factor to consider before buying a hunting knife is its price.
Its worth spending a decent amount to get a good quality knife, as it will likely last you for years to come. You really do get what you pay for in this department. So, look at it as an investment and buy a middle-range knife with great qualities.
Now all the key buying points have been discussed, let’s jump into an in depth review of each of the ten knives in our list!
10 Best Field Dressing Knives 2021
If you’re a frequent hunter who likes to hunt at different places, you’ll want something you can carry easily. For such hunters, this knife kit is perfect as you can easily carry it on your hunting trips. It is lightweight, compact and easy to handle. The kit can easily fit into your backpack and you can also attach it to your belt, making it our top pick for the best field dressing knife.
- The knife comes with a good quality rubber handle which offers a firm grip and doesn’t slip easily.
- You get a carbide knife sharpener in this kit. It is very useful and is attached under the sheath.
- The knife weighs only 4.9 ounces which makes it suitable for beginners and easy to carry as well.
- The size of the blade is 3.5 inches, thus can be used for small to medium-sized animals including rabbit and deer.
This knife is a perfect option for both the beginners and the pro players. The material quality of the blade is very good which means with the right care it will last for years to come. Furthermore, it’s an affordable knife so great for those on a tighter budget.
If you’re looking for a field dressing knife that looks great, has a sharp blade and is compact in size then this is your option. It comes with a blade length of 7.25 inches and weighs just 5.2 ounces making it an ideal choice.
- The blade of the knife is sharp and offers an excellent edge of retention. It is rust-free and durable as well.
- The skinner blade with a narrow tip allows you to skin the animal smoothly.
- Its compact size and versatility make it one of the best performing hunting knives in the market.
- The genuine leather sheath plus the dymondwood handle and belt make this knife visually appealing.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
This is one of the most attractive and functional field dressing knives out there. It has excellent features and falls in an affordable category as well. If you prefer the looks of this knife then definitely go for it, you won’t be disappointed.
Buck hunting knives are known for quality and high performance. If you’re an experienced hunter who hunts very often, this knife will be a great addition to your hunting kit.
It has strong and sharp blades that will remain sharp for a long time. Furthermore, the handle of this knife is grooved which offers excellent grip even if your hands are wet.
- The knife comes with a 4-inch Guthook stainless steel blade that offers excellent strength and precision. Furthermore, the blade is corrosion-resistant, which adds to its longevity.
- It has sharp edges that allows you to skin or chop the hunted animal very smoothly and with great precision.
- The handle of this knife features an ergonomic design which offers the best possible grip. Because the handle is made from high-grade rubber, it keeps your hands safe from injuries.
- The sheath of this knife is of great quality. It closes quickly which offers good control, making it an ideal choice.
This Buck knife falls in a reasonable price range and you definitely get what you’ve paid for. It has really good quality and would be a great accompaniment on your next hunting trip.
Knives kits are best for hunters that love to have all the right tools for the job. This kit by Outdoor Edge is aimed at professional hunters.
It is a fully fledged professional-grade knife set that includes a gut hook skinner, a capping knife, a boning knife and one wood – bone saw. Furthermore, the set also comes with a few other useful accessories like game cleaning gloves, a carbide sharpener etc.
Weighing at only 2.4lbs you get a lot of bang for your buck with this set.
- Comes with a 3-inch capping knife that has hard and sharp blades.
- Includes a 4 inch gut hook skinner, 6-inch fillet knife and 6-inch bone saw.
- Comes with a tungsten carbide sharpener so you can keep your knives sharp on the go.
- Kit also includes a pair of game cleaning gloves and a stell stick spreader
- Blades of the knives are made of 420 stainless steel.
This knife set is surely a must-have for all the pro hunters. The quality of knives as well as the accessories is excellent. They are sharp and very sturdy. Further, the stainless steel blades are rust-free. Overall, it’s a great kit to invest in if you want an all-in-one solution.
FieldTorq Knives aims at providing a super fun and hassle-free on-the-field hunting experience. This is a highly practical and sharp tool which can open a large animal within seconds. It comes with a gut hook that performs well and doesn’t get stuck easily.
The blade of the knife is enclosed and there are also knife points, so you won’t accidentally cut the bladder, gut or any other organ. Furthermore, the handle is made of fiberglass reinforced nylon material which offers great grip and strength.
- It’s a super versatile knife that offers great precision and control.
- It’s a fixed blade knife that is made from high-grade carbon steel. Due to this construction, it is super sturdy and last for years.
- Can be used for splitting rib cage and bones easily
- It cuts the game animal in a matter of few seconds
- Comes with a lifetime warranty.
If you’re looking for a great hunting knife that lasts for years without requiring any high maintenance, this knife is for you.
It is another great hunting set which is specially designed for hunting games. This set includes 8 pcs knives and a good-quality carry case. The knives include a gut hook skinner, capping knife, boning knife, carbide sharpener, boning knife, and a pair of game cleaning gloves. The blades are of excellent quality and handles are designed to offer a comfortable yet safe grip.
- Comes with 8pcs highly useful hunting knives
- Includes useful accessories such as game cleaning gloves, Tungsten carbide sharpener
- Comes with comfortable yet non-flimsy handles
- Comes with a plastic case that offer great storage.
If you don’t want to invest in different types of hunting knives separately, this is the set you should go for. It includes just about every type of knife you could want to take with you.
This Elk Ridge hunting knife comes as a 2-pc knife set. There is one 7-inch straight edge knife and one 6.5-inch gut hook blade. Both tools are very important for a hunter. The blades of these knives are made of stainless steel. Furthermore, the handles are crafted from ABS that offers a decent grip.
Finally, it comes with a glass-filled nylon sheath which offers great protection against weather conditions and keeps you safe from getting injured.
- A set of two essential hunting knives
- Blades are made of high-quality stainless steel that make them rust-free.
- High quality sheath
- Knives have a finger hole
- Suitable for any experience level
If you’ve a limited budget and want to invest on the most essential tools, this set is for you. The quality of blades is really good. They are durable, sharp and won’t require a lot of maintenance in the long run.
If you’re looking for a multipurpose hunting knife that is great for service as well as for hunting, look no further than this fighting/utility knife. The blade of this knife comes with rounded serrations, which means it is safe to carry and use.
- Made from 100 per cent synthetic material
- Comes with a high performing utility blade that features a serrated edge to offer safety.
- Very functional and lightweight
- The blades are easy to sharp and remain sharp till a long period.
- The handle of this knife fits properly and offers a firm grip
If you’re searching a knife that offers a perfect balance at the pointer to finger grip, this is an excellent option to look at – it’s a great service /hunting knife.
This knife is quite popular among the hunters. The blade of Junglas is made from high carbon steel which is the first choice of professionals. The handle of this knife is sturdy and non-flimsy.=, and the overall design of the knife is very aesthetic.
- The length of the blade is 10.37 inches and the knife is 16.5 inches in total.
- Looks very stylish
- The handle offers a comfortable grip and high performance
- Made in the USA
It is a great knife for the hunters who are looking for a slightly bigger field dressing knife that not only offers high performance but also looks good.
Finally, we have the bestseller field dressing knife that is not only high performing but is affordable as well. It is best for medium to small game animals. It’s a fixed blade knife with stainless steel blades.
- The overall length of the knife is 9.25 inches, suitable for small to medium animals
- Weighs only 0.12 Kilograms
- Very affordable
- Looks stylish
- Stainless steel blades are rust-free.
This is a great knife for penny pinchers who want to have a great field dressing knife without exceeding their budget.
These were the 10 best field dressing knifes of 2021. We hope this guide helps you in choosing the right knife for yourself.